The Annunciation – Agia Paraskevi (St. Paraskevi) Verified

Add to favorites

A grand cathedral in the center of the village. It is a 2-nave, barrel vaulted church, built in 1835 on the ruins of an old monastery, dedicated to St. Paraskevi. The pre-existing monastery was operational up to 1800. The north nave is dedicated to St. Paraskevi, while the south one to the Annunciation. In the cathedral, a superb woodcut iconostasis is preserved, as well as icons of the 14th, 16th, 17th and 18th century.

The upper part of the iconostasis hosts the icons of Vrefokratoussa (Infant-Holder), Pantocrator (Almighty), St. Paraskevi, Zoodochou Pigis (Life-giving Spring), Annunciation, Holy Trinity and St. John the Baptist. On the lower part, there are icons of the Cappadocian Fathers, the Archangels, the Beheading of St. John the Baptist, the Transfiguration, the Last Supper, the Descent from the Cross and the Exodus.

A small icon of the Annunciation from the 14th century was found in the foundations of the ruins of the original church. The church is also a kind of museum, as there are icons from the oldest churches of the village in it. In the church yard there is a Corinthian column capital, of unknown origin, on which a refectory is based.

Architecture: two-nave, barrel vaulted
Dating: 1835 A.D.
Location: Mochos (in the main village square)
Celebration: 25th March, 26th July
Hagiography: NO
Access : Access
Visit Options: Open up to 15:00